Michel Genko Dubois, Roshi | I. Generation
Born in 1947, Michel Genko Dubois has practiced Zen since 1978. In 2007, he received Shiho (Dharma Transmission) authorization to teach Zen, from Genpo Merzel Roshi and Inka (Final Seal of Approval) from Bernie Tetsugen Glassman Roshi. He has also studied with Maezumi Roshi and Deshimaru Roshi. He has received as well the teachings of several Tibetan lamas, such as Chhoje Tulku Rinpoche, Tsoknyi Rinpoche and Anam Thubten Rinpoche.
From 1970 to 1974, Michel Dubois travelled across Africa, hitchhiking, teaching English and doing various odd jobs. His first experience with meditation was in the mountains of northern Ethiopia in 1974.
The year after, he travelled across Central America and the United States, before finally settling in San Francisco, where he became a taxi driver and began practicing Zen regularly. In 1980, he took part in the « Long Walk for Survival », a spiritual march San Francisco to New York led by traditionalist Native Americans, to pray for peace on Earth and the closing of the uranium mines on Native reserve lands.
During the 1980s he co-produced and co-wrote the documentary film, “The Spirit of Crazy Horse”, which tells the story of the Lakota Sioux Indians and their struggle to recover their sacred ancestral land – the Black Hills of South Dakota.
Michel Dubois is a member and a teacher of the « Zen Peacemakers », an association founded by Bernie Glassman to unite Zen Buddhist practice, social action, and work for peace. He is also the cofounder of the “L’Un Est L’Autre” (One is the Other) humanitarian organization, which distributes meals to the needy in Paris.
He currently teaches Zen at the Dana Zen Center at Montreuil, suburban Paris, and regularly leads retreats in France and Catalonia, Spain. He is also a professional translator.
ZEN VOIE DU COEUR | ZEN – A WAY OF THE HEART
We are practitioners of the Way of Awakening in the Soto Zen Buddhist lineage of Taizan Maezumi Roshi. It is a vocation of attention, gratitude and love, a life of communication and participation with all beings.
This vocation is founded on the practice of sitting meditation and the intimate intuition of our unity, diversity and interdependence with all of life.
In partnership with other associations, we participate in the building of a society of solidarity, which will allow each and everyone to find their place and make their contribution. This vocation towards socially engaged work is free of any form of proselytism and is part of a tradition of unconditional hospitality towards all excluded or marginalized people. Above all it’s about responding in service and being totally at one with one’s engaged action.
ZEN – A WAY OF THE HEART supports and practices the Three Principles of Zen Peacemakers:
1. Plunging into the Unknown – giving up fixed ideas about ourselves and the world
2. Bearing witness to the joy and suffering of the world
3. Loving actions towards ourselves and others
ZEN – A WAY OF THE HEART
1. Is engaged in partnership with the l’Un Est l’Autre (One is the Other) association, which distributes meals to people living in situations of great need.
2. Is engaged in partnership with the Salvation Army, on the “péniche” boat, Admiral Major Georgette Gogibus, in service of its residents, people living in situations of great need. We participate in the preparation of festive meals, the screening of films and the organization of talking and listening circles.
…more to come…
- France > Paris-Montreuil > Sesshin with Michel Genko Dubois Roshi on 29. March 2019 18:00
- France > Paris-Montreuil > Sesshin with Michel Genko Dubois Roshi on 17. May 2019 18:00
- France > Paris > Paris Street Retreat with Michel Genko Dubois Roshi on 29. May 2019
- France > Normandy & Paris > Summer Sesshin with Michel Genko Dubois Roshi on 30. June 2019
- France > Paris-Montreuil > Sesshin with Michel Genko Dubois Roshi on 1. November 2019 18:00
- France > Paris-Montreuil > New Year Sesshin with Michel Genko Dubois Roshi on 26. December 2019